The Riviera del Brenta is the area between Venice and Padua, famous for the beauty of the river area and the many wonderful Veneto villas, built starting from the seventh century by the Venetian patricians.
How to get there
In this area, 59 km from Eraclea Mare, there are many villas and gardens open to the public. Take the A4 highway from Noventa di Piave towards Mestre. On the Mestre bypass continue towards Padova-Chioggia (no highway) and at Malcontenta follow signs to Mira, Dolo … Padova.
Things to see…
The Riviera del Brenta area developed from the 15th century onwards thanks to its privileged position, as the Brenta river made it possible to reach Venice directly by water and connect it to Padua, a prestigious center of culture and worship at the time. Along the river, the Venetian families purchased vast properties, that were destined to intensive farming, and built wonderful country mansions to become their summer residences. From the 17th century onwards, the Riviera became a fashionable vacation destination and architects such as Palladio, Scamozzi, Longhena, Frigimelica were commissioned projects there, and so were painters such as Zelotti, Caliari, Ruschi, Guarana, Zais, Zuccarelli and Tiepolo. Many residences and gardens are open to the public and can also be easily reached by water by river or by following the tourist tracks on a bicycle: Villa Foscari “La malcontenta”, designed by Palladio, at Malcontenta. Villa Widmann Foscari at Mira. Villa Pisani at Stra, the symbol par excellence of the grandeur and style of the seventeen hundreds. It was declared national monument in 1882 and the great ball room with its decorated ceiling by Giandomenico Tiepolo can be visited. Villa Sagredo at Vigonovo famous for having hosted Galileo Galilei. Villa Belvedere at Mirano, with its nineteenth century gardens. Villa Foscarini Rossi at Stra, built by the Venetian Patriarchs Foscarini between 1617 and 1635. Barchessa Valmarana at Mira, with a large frescoed room by Michelangelo Schiavone. Villa – Palazzo Gradenigo at Oriago di Mira, with frescoes by Benedetto Caliari. Barchessa Alessandri at Mira, built at the end of the 17th century and with frescoes by Pellegrini and Busaferro.